OVER a dozen dangerous apps have been uncovered on the Google Play Store.
These “hacked” apps pose as real tools – but secretly infect your Android device.
The apps offer up handy features like new emoji, wallpapers, and photo filters.
But they’re actually adware: apps designed to flood your phone with ads.
This generates quick cash for crooks.
And it also slows down your handset, drains battery life and generally makes your phone much worse.
Worryingly, cyber-experts at Bitdefender say the rogue apps have been installed over 2million times.
What makes them particularly nefarious is that the apps hide on your device.
They’ll swap their icon for a cogwheel and then rename as Settings to avoid being deleted by the user.
And if the app is launched, it will shrink completely and hide from view – before loading up the real Settings app.
Most read in Tech
This tricks the user into thinking they launched the genuine Settings app.
The apps won’t even appear in the Recents list, making them hard to track down.
You’ll need to navigate into your full apps list and delete them manually.
Here’s the list of rogue apps:
- Walls light – Wallpapers Pack (gb.packlivewalls.fournatewren)
- Big Emoji – Keyboard 5.0 (gb.blindthirty.funkeyfour)
- Grand Wallpapers – 3D Backdrops 2.0 (gb.convenientsoftfiftyreal.threeborder)
- Engine Wallpapers (gb.helectronsoftforty.comlivefour)
- Stock Wallpapers (gb.fiftysubstantiated.wallsfour)
- EffectMania – Photo Editor 2.0 (gb.actualfifty.sevenelegantvideo)
- Art Filter – Deep Photoeffect 2.0 (gb.crediblefifty.editconvincingeight)
- Fast Emoji Keyboard APK (de.eightylamocenko.editioneights)
- Create Sticker for Whatsapp 2.0 (gb.convincingmomentumeightyverified.realgamequicksix)
- Math Solver – Camera Helper 2.0 (gb.labcamerathirty.mathcamera)
- Photopix Effects – Art Filter 2.0 (gb.mega.sixtyeffectcameravideo)
- Led Theme – Colorful Keyboard 2.0 (gb.theme.twentythreetheme)
- Animated Sticker Master 1.0 (am.asm.master)
- Sleep Sounds 1.0 (com.voice.sleep.sounds)
- Personality Charging Show 1.0 (com.charging.show)
- Image Warp Camera
- GPS Location Finder (smart.ggps.lockakt)
Several of these apps are still available to download on the Google Play Store.
But even if they’ve been removed from the official app store, they may still be lurking on your device.
If you recognise any of these app names, you should try to delete them as soon as possible.
Best Phone and Gadget tips and hacks
Looking for tips and hacks for your phone? Want to find those secret features within social media apps? We have you covered…
- How to delete your Instagram account
- What does pending mean on Snapchat?
- How to check if you’ve been blocked on WhatsApp
- How to drop a pin on Google Maps
- How can I change my Facebook password?
- How to go live on TikTok
- How to clear the cache on an iPhone
- What is NFT art?
- What is OnlyFans?
- What does Meta mean?
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Tech & Science team? Email us at email@example.com