THE family of a kidnapped teen girl has revealed heartbreaking details of her tragic disappearance after she was lured from Canada to the US by an online man.
Noah Madrano, 40, is being accused of kidnapping and committing sexual offenses against a 13-year-old Edmonton girl who went missing in June.
The anonymous teenager was 12 when she started communicating with Madrano on popular social media apps.
“What my daughter thought was innocent conversations turned very sinister online,” said the father of the teen.
“Your kids are safer playing in the park than they are playing on the internet,” 他说 The Toronto Star.
The girl’s parents monitored her usage of personal internet devices, but some things slipped through the cracks.
read more sun stories
He said that they noticed her personality begin to change a year before her disappearance, and they surmised it was regular teen angst.
然而, they had no idea that her abrupt change occurred around the same time Madrano allegedly made contact.
The father alleges that Madrano broke his daughter’s spirit by attacking her self-worth, then built her back up to gain trust.
Madrano told the girl he loved her and accepted her, the father said.
在六月 24, his daughter arrived at her junior high school but failed to show up for class.
It is believed that Madrano crossed the border and drove into Edmonton to retrieve her, according to police.
The father said the family quickly realized that something was wrong and were terrified.
They put posters up of her around Edmonton and spread awareness of her disappearance online while police investigated her case.
Over a week later, she was spotted in Oregon City, Oregon where she was recovered by police.
The family rushed to the airport hours after they were informed she had been found and had a heartwarming reunion in the US.
“It was a lot of tears, a lot of hugging,” the father told CTV News Edmonton.
“The reunion with her was amazing.”
Madrano was arraigned in Oregon City on July 5 where he was hit with multiple charges related to the 13-year-old’s disappearance.
“在这种情况下, the state is alleging that defendant targeted a 12-year-old child in Canada, coerced her over the course of a year, went up to Canada to retrieve and kidnap the child,” said deputy district attorney Adrienne Chin-Perez according to CBC News.
Madrano has been charged with kidnapping, 强奸, and sexual abuse.
He pled not guilty to all charges.
Madrano’s bail has been set at $500,000.
The father acknowledged that social media helped to raise awareness of his missing daughter, but is calling for companies to take more responsibility for child luring schemes.
“What I’ve realized is there is no regulation, no control of the internet whatsoever,” he told the Star.
“I feel that social media and internet companies, they owe it to the world.
“This is making people extremely unsafe and we need to do something.”
Madrano is scheduled to appear in court again on July 12.