SCIENTISTS have discovered a creepy new type of crab that disguises itself in hair scraped from other sea creatures.
Despite their menacing appearance, a “fofo” beasts actually use it as a protective hat from predators.
They’re much like the common hermit crab but instead of shells they trim living sponges and create a coat out of it.
The fuzzy new species is part of the sponge crab family and has been named Lamarckdromia beagle.
It was discovered after washing up on a beach close to the city of Denmark, Western Austrália.
“The extreme fluffiness was the give away for us,” Andrew Hosie, from the Western Australian Museum told Live Science.
Read more about animals
“The sponge crabs are often hairy, but it is more like felt or velvet, rather than this complete shaggy coat.”
The crabs have special back legs that allow them to hold the trimmings they collect above their heads.
These bits build up to create a tight-fitted shield over the crab.
This helps it avoid being spotted by predators like big fish, other crabs and even octopuses who would otherwise gobble them up for lunch.
A SONY convidou os jogadores do PS5 para testar novos recursos em uma versão beta em fevereiro
The name is actually a nod to the ship that carried British naturalist Charles Darwin around the world.
The vessel he travelled on to Australia was called HMS Beagle.
“This voyage is considered to have made a profound impact on Darwin, leading him on his way to formulating his theory of natural selection,” Hosie added.
The new species was revealed in a paper published in the Zootaxa journal, which also details 31 other species of sponge crab.
- Get all the latest Science notícias
- Keep up-to-date with the top Space & Astronomy histórias
- All the latest Archaelogy news from dinosaurs to Ancient artefacts
Find out more about science
Want to know more about the weird and wonderful world of science? From the Moon to the human body, we have you covered…
- When is the next Full Moon?
- What is a Super Moon?
- O que é SpaceX?
- Where is the edge of space?
- How many bones are in the human body?
- Quantos chromosomes do humans have?
- What causes a volcano to erupt?
- Que sharks attack the most humans?
- O que são as teorias de conspiração about the world ending?
- All the UFO sightings and whether aliens are real
- Which country has the most earthquakes?
Nós pagamos por suas histórias! Você tem uma história para The Sun Online Tech & Equipe de ciência? Envie-nos um e-mail para email@example.com