Wie der Mörder von Babes in the Wood der Gerechtigkeit entkam 30 Jahre – nur dienen 4

VILE ‘Babes in the Woodkiller Russell Bishop served just four years in prison for the child murders after evading justice for 32 Jahre.

The monster, 55, died in hospital on Wednesday night just hours after being rushed there from top security HMP Frankland, Co Durham.

Im Alter von 20 Russell Bishop sexually assaulted and strangled best friends Nicola and Karen

Im Alter von 20 Russell Bishop sexually assaulted and strangled best friends Nicola and KarenAnerkennung: News Group Newspapers Ltd.
Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were murdered in the 1986 Attacke

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway were murdered in the 1986 AttackeAnerkennung: PA:Presseverband
He was sentenced to life in prison in December 2018

He was sentenced to life in prison in December 2018Anerkennung: PA:Presseverband

Bishop had escaped justice more than three decades after murdering nine-year-olds Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway in 1986.

The casebranded Babes in the Woodwas Sussex Police’s longest-running murder inquiry as he dodged being caught in plain sight.

Here we take a look at how he evaded punishment for so long by faking alibis, deflecting guilt and hiding behind police blunders…

Bishop, of Brighton, East Sussex, lured best friends Nicola and Karen to a secluded den in the city’s Wild Park where he sexually assaulted and strangled them.

Er war 20 years old at the time of the murders and working as a roofer in the Hollingdean area of Brighton.

Bishop joined the search for the two schoolgirls just hours after brutally murdering them in a bid to fool cops of his innocence.

Die meisten lesen in Nachrichten

Neue Beweise über den Verdächtigen von Chef Maddie lassen die Ermittler „schockiert“


Neue Beweise über den Verdächtigen von Haupt-Maddie machen die Ermittler schockiert’

But it backfired when police thought his close involvement was suspicious.

In his evil attempt to throw cops off, Bishop had produced a series of fake alibis, einschließlich eines “wild manof the woods and his drug dealer.

He also sickeningly tried to cast doubt on Nicola’s dad Barrie Fellowsclaiming he had watched his daughter being filmed while she was sexually abused.

Der Vater, who had played cricket with Bishop, was forced to deny any involvement.

He was questioned by police following his daughter’s death and a hate campaign was started on the Moulescoomb estate where he livedforcing him to leave.

Even after Mr Fellows had moved, he continued to be shrouded in suspicion by police who arrested him in 2009 over an alleged plot to rape Nicola before her death that turned out to be completely baseless.


Bishop was eventually charged with the murders but was cleared after a trial at Lewes Crown Court in 1987.

His acquittal was later attributed to a series of blunders in the prosecution’s case.

The light blue Pinto sweatshirt he wore on the day of the murders turned up aone-in-a-billionDNA match to Bishop.

But Bishop’s defence had tried casting suspicion of the forensic evidence and even suggested it may have been contaminated.

Fiend Bishop lapped up publicity after he was originally cleared of murderwarning the double child killer was still at large.

He even vowed tokeep fightingin sickening TV interviewsand claimed the ordeal would stay with him for life.

Bishop told regional news programme Coast To Coast just days after his acquittal: “I feel very bitter towards the police that they’ve closed the case.

They knew all along that I did not do this and therefore they should open this case again.

The blue jumper that snared Bishop 31 Jahre später

The blue jumper that snared Bishop 31 Jahre späterAnerkennung: PA:Presseverband
The double killer was finally convicted of the Babes in the Wood murders in 2018 but was first accused in 1987

The double killer was finally convicted of the Babes in the Wood murders in 2018 but was first accused in 1987Anerkennung: PA:Presseverband

I won’t stop fighting until it’s open again.

jedoch, just three years later, Bishop was convicted of abducting, sexually assaulting and trying to kill a seven-year-old girl at Devils Dyke on the South Downs.

The girl survived the attack and identified Bishop as her assailant.

Under cross-examination, he insisted he was not a paedophile but was justbloody angryat a hate campaign against him and thoughtI might as well do it”.

He ​​was sentenced to at least 14 years before eligible for release.

Schließlich, im 2018 Russell was put on trial again for the murders of Nicola and Karen after the Court of Appeal gave the Crown Prosecution Service the authority to quash acquittals.

He was on trial for the second time over the killings under the double jeopardy law following a DNA breakthrough.


The court heard that samples taken from the left forearm of one of the girls in 1986 had been re-examined in 2014 and matched the crucial blue sweatshirt that linked it to Bishop’s home and the girls.

The jury was told how Bishop had sexually assaulted and strangled the girls with the court describing him as aviolent” und “predatory paedophile”.

The two girls had gone to buy chips before playing together in Wild Park – half a mile from their homes – until dusk.

Their bodies were discovered the next day in a woodland den with post mortem results revealing both girls had been strangled to death.

Their underwear had either been removed or changed and there was evidence they were both sexually assaulted.

Jurors heard that Karen would have lost consciousness but death would not have been instant.

Nicola appeared to have beenpunched or struckon the cheek and there was evidence she had been sexually assaulted while alive and after she died.

How Russell Bishop finally faced justice

Oktober 9, 1986: Nicola and Karen, both nine, go missing from their homes in Moulsecoomb, Brighton, East Sussex.

Oktober 10: The bodies of the girls are found huddled together at Wild Park.

Dezember 10, 1987: Bishop is cleared of their murders at Lewes crown court, East Sussex.

Dezember, 13, 1990: Bishop is convicted of a seven-year-old’s attempted murder, kidnapping and indecent assault.

Oktober 16, 2018: He goes on trial again for murders of Nicola and Karen after Court of Appeal gave CPS authority to quash acquittals.

Dezember 10, 2018: Bishop is found guilty of murder in just two hours after an agonising 32 year wait for the family

Auf 10 Dezember 2018, after a nine-week trial, a jury of seven men and five women returned a guilty verdict.

He received two life sentences with a minimum of 36 Jahre im Gefängnis.

But the monster only ended up serving four years for the children’s tragic deathsas he died on Wednesday after The Sun revealed he had bowel cancer.

His last moments were spent alone, watched over only by a pair of prison officers as his life ebbed away.

The disease quickly spread despite surgery, and by October he was being given palliative care.

The families of Bishop’s victims begged him to use his final weeks to tell them why he had committed the murders.

Sources said that he was rushed to hospital after suffering from breathing difficulties and passed away shortly before 9pm on Wednesday.

Bishop’s own relatives were informed overnight of his death, which came just three weeks before his 56th birthday.

Nine-year-old Karen Hadaway was killed in the notorious 1986 Attacke

Nine-year-old Karen Hadaway was killed in the notorious 1986 AttackeAnerkennung: Alamy
Nicola Fellows was also killed by Russell Bishop in 1986 alt 9

Nicola Fellows was also killed by Russell Bishop in 1986 alt 9Anerkennung: Alamy

How Babes in the Wood killer Russell Bishop revealed guilt at murdering two schoolgirls 30 years before he was convicted