MUMS are putting kids in dressing gowns, mittens, and woolly hats to stay warm after cladding was removed from their tower block.
Families say energy bills have soared and now they can’t can’t afford to turn the heating up past 11C and rarely switch on the lights.
Jane says says her ten-month-old son spends all day in his mittens and hat while his three-year-old sister wears her dressing gown.
The mum-of-two also dons her robe in an effort to stay warm during winter.
Cladding was removed after the Grenfell Tower tragedy in 2018, which killed 72 人们.
When developers removed the outer layer around Malus Court, Salford, temperatures plummeted – forcing parents to put tin foil behind the radiators.
Jane moved into the property in October 2021 and claims Universal Credit while working part-time.
She told the Manchester Evening News: “I sit at night, 害怕的, wondering where I am going to get the money from.
“I have got tin foil behind the radiators to try and keep the heat in.
“[The kids are] not opening the curtains to keep the heat in.
“They have to sleep with hot water bottles. They are always full of cold. Then they are full of damp.”
The heating system at Malus Court relies on the building’s insulation and since the cladding was removed residents are left to the freezing elements.
Another mum in the tower block, 玛丽亚, is unable to work owing to English lessons and caring for her five-year-old son.
她说: “The job centre said I should stay at home without child care because it costs so much, I can’t afford it.
“I have a smart meter and I am always checking it.
“I have a five-year-old son. I have to do things at home.
“It’s simple ordinary things. My son has to sleep in my bed. “I cannot leave him there. This is not a life.”
“I sit at night, 害怕的, wondering where I am going to get the money from
去年, Maria spent £1,400 on energy – paying more than £180 in monthly payments.
As temperatures dropped, she was spending almost £300 every four weeks.
Malus Court is managed by Pendleton Together and owned by Salford City Council.
The building’s NIBE heating system uses vents to draw fresh air in which can then be warmed and circulated.
By removing cladding, there is less residual heat causing the freezing conditions in the building.
Deputy Mayor John Merry said completion of works to warm the building will be done as “fast as humanly possible.”
他加了: “The reason the cladding had to be taken off the blocks was for resident safety.
“After Grenfell, it has been revealed there has been a national failure of building regulations and we are now legally obliged to remove and replace all cladding made from these materials.
“From the perspective of the Council, we are working as hard and fast as we can with the resources we have available.
“Salford was one of the first Councils in the country to announce the removal and replacement of its cladded blocks – but the Government blocked our attempts to finance the speedy removal and replacement locally, and then also told us that Pendleton Together’s [PTOL] blocks were not eligible for government grant money.
“After a lengthy process of acquiring private finance on private finance markets, PTOL have removed the dangerous cladding.
“But structural issues have slowed work – alongside international supply-chain shortages and national labour shortages.”
Pendleton Together said it was “sorry to hear any examples of residents facing difficulties”.
一位发言人说: “Pendleton Together know that some of our residents face difficulties heating their home every winter.
“Where this is due to energy prices or financial hardship we provide specialist staff who can advise on the support available and work with them to offer reassurance.
“This is a service we have always provided and will continue to provide after the programme of fire safety works is complete.”
It comes after The Sun told of how a flat in the same building became overrun by mice after workers removed cladding.
One couple claimed mice were crawling across their heads at night.
A husband said: “I was in bed on Saturday night and mice ran across my wife’s head.
”[It went] around my pillow and it went over my hair.
“It’s not just my flat. There’s a few flats that have mice.”
The vermin problem struck after the works left a network of ‘gaps’ for vermin to run between homes, residents say.
Pendleton Together said it was taking action to resolve the rodent issue.