SCIENTISTS have discovered a creepy new type of crab that disguises itself in hair scraped from other sea creatures.
Despite their menacing appearance, die “fluffy” beasts actually use it as a protective hat from predators.
They’re much like the common hermit crab but instead of shells they trim living sponges and create a coat out of it.
The fuzzy new species is part of the sponge crab family and has been named Lamarckdromia beagle.
It was discovered after washing up on a beach close to the city of Denmark, Western Australië.
“The extreme fluffiness was the give away for us,” Andrew Hosie, from the Western Australian Museum told Live Science.
Read more about animals
“The sponge crabs are often hairy, but it is more like felt or velvet, rather than this complete shaggy coat.”
The crabs have special back legs that allow them to hold the trimmings they collect above their heads.
These bits build up to create a tight-fitted shield over the crab.
This helps it avoid being spotted by predators like big fish, other crabs and even octopuses who would otherwise gobble them up for lunch.
Die meeste gelees in Tech
WhatsApp to make HUGE change to one of its best features… but some might hate it
The name is actually a nod to the ship that carried British naturalist Charles Darwin around the world.
The vessel he travelled on to Australia was called HMS Beagle.
“This voyage is considered to have made a profound impact on Darwin, leading him on his way to formulating his theory of natural selection,” Hosie added.
The new species was revealed in a paper published in the Zootaxa journal, which also details 31 other species of sponge crab.
- Kry alles nuut Wetenskap nuus
- Bly op hoogte van die top Ruimte & Sterrekunde stories
- Al die nuutste Argeologie nuus van dinosourusse tot antieke artefakte
Find out more about science
Wil u meer weet oor die vreemde en wonderlike wêreld van die wetenskap? From the Moon to the human body, ons het jou gedek…
- Wanneer is die volgende? Volmaan?
- What is a Super Moon?
- Al wat jy moet weet oor Rusland se inval in die Oekraïne SpaceX?
- Where is the edge of space?
- Hoeveel bene is daar in die menslike liggaam?
- Hoeveel chromosomes do humans have?
- Wat veroorsaak a vulkaan uitbars?
- Watter haaie aanval die meeste mense?
- Wat is die samesweringsteorieë oor die wêreld wat eindig?
- Al die UFO-waarnemings en of vreemdelinge is werklik
- Watter land het die die meeste aardbewings?
Ons betaal vir u stories! Het u 'n verhaal vir The Sun Online Tech & Wetenskapspan? E-pos ons by email@example.com