A STUNNED driver returned from a three-week holiday to find his car burnt and his number plate melted.
But he was horrified to discover it had been badly scorched following a fire at the Marriott Hotel close to the car park.
The airport blamed the blaze’s “intense heat” and offered to pay for a taxi home as his motor was no longer roadworthy.
But Andrey was left having to claim for the damage on his own insurance – paying the £500 excess – as the hotel said the flames erupted “spontaneously” and it wasn’t at fault.
The bus driver, de Oxford, dicho: “I was in disbelief that this happened at Gatwick.
“I expected the official car park of the airport to be the best and safest option out of all the other car parks, but no.
“I paid them to keep my car safe yet came back to find it was damaged by fire and it had to be written off.
“Gatwick blamed the hotel next to the car park, but the hotel said it wasn’t at fault either.
Lo más leído en The Sun
“I am still £500 short and it looks like it’s going to be my fault as no one is accepting liability, but it had absolutely nothing to do with me. I was on holiday.
“It was a rubbish service and I’ve had no compensation.”
Andrey handed the keys over on July 4 and the fire is understood to have broken out on July 21.
But it has taken him months to get a response out of Marriott and the airport – all while also without a car.
“I just want one of them to accept liability so it doesn’t fall on me,” Andrey added.
“I also want it to be known that even if you book through the official airport parking system, it doesn’t mean your car will be safe there.
“I will be avoiding Gatwick in the future as it is clear they do not look after their customers.”
A Gatwick Airport spokesperson said: “The airport takes reports of damage to our passenger’s property seriously and is aware of this incident.
“An investigation is ongoing, and we will be able to comment further when this process has been completed.
“We will also make sure that Mr Grudachev is not left out of pocket by paying £500 toward his insurance excess as a gesture of goodwill.”
The Sun approached Marriott for comment.