THE mastermind of eco mob Just Stop Oil was nicked last night after The Sun blew the whistle on their plot to block the motorway network.
Roger Hallam, 56, was being questioned after we told police his group were planning to scale motorway gantries on the M25 tomorrow and bring traffic to a standstill.
And in another victory for the people by The Sun, National Highways yesterday secured a High Court injunction to prevent protesters disrupting the road.
Hallam’s arrest came after we infiltrated a meeting on Wednesday and passed on recordings to polícia of the hardline green campaigners’ plot.
He was not at home but bags of evidence, incluindo um laptop, were removed.
The Met Police later confirmed a 56-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit public nuisance.
Police called it a significant arrest and said others were due to be made later. Hallam is still in custody.
Na quarta-feira, The Sun listened as activists unveiled plans to stop cars flowing on London’s orbital motorway — used by up to 200,000 motorists every day.
Mais lido no The Sun
One member boasted: “It is almost impossible to stop. We will not back down.”
Organic farmer Hallam, the co-founder of another green mob, Rebelião de extinção, vowed: “This is not just another action. It’s potentially the most significant act of civil disobedience in decades.”
Ele adicionou: “If it goes on for two days, multar. It it’s three or four days it is the biggest disruption in British history.”
Boasting to fellow members of his credentials when it comes to bringing Britain to a halt, ele riu: “I have a bit of a knack.
“We need to get on to the gantries — there’s thousands of them. We have prototyped this.”
He added the motorway protest could cost the economy millions of pounds and said: “If we engage in such massive economic disruption, the Government can’t ignore us.
“We need to step up, we aren’t here for pats on the back.”
A female ringleader, who said her name was Lucia, gave more details of the gantry occupation.
Ela disse: “There’s hundreds and hundreds. It’s impossible to police.
“If you have a police car waiting at your chosen gantry you just go to the next one so you will have a back-up.
“It’s going to be enormous. One person per gantry and 16 people a day.”
But their plans were scuppered when National Highways secured a High Court injunction acting on The Sun’s information.
It means that anyone entering the motorway to fix themselves to any object or structure on it, and anyone assisting in such an act, can be held in contempt of court.
They would face imprisonment, an unlimited fine and the seizure of assets.
Eu obviamente pensei sobre isso, mas eu tinha um trabalho a fazer.”
Transport Secretary Mark Harper said he instructed National Highways to take action to tackle a “reckless minority of protesters”.
The roads agency said: “National Highways remains committed to do whatever it can to seek to deter unlawful protest activity and punish all of those who breach the injunction orders in the eyes of the law.”