AN urgent warning has been issued after a teenager was electrocuted by her phone charger that she fell asleep on.
The Chinese translator at the Sing Yon Kong Yik gold mining company in Kratie province turned its torch light on.
Local officials declared she had died instantly in her sleep from a massive electric shock on 27th July.
Her death has provoked a social media debate on the safety of phone chargers.
“They should be having public awareness campaigns on how to handle electricity,” said one.
READ MORE ON PHONES
“I see people touching live wires on those transformer posts all the time, and unfortunate incidents like these happen often.”
Another said: “She had just showered, so perhaps she was still wet when she laid down atop that multi-socket thingamajig.
“Even if dry, though, not a good idea to have one of those in bed with you. Tragic.”
In 2013, Apple investigated the death of a woman in China who was reportedly electrocuted after answering a call on her iPhone while it was charging.
Most read in News
And in February, 18-year-old Angel Andrada was electrocuted and died after leaving the family dinner table to charge his phone in Argentina.
In Brazil, a two-year-old toddler Sara Alves de Albuquerque died after getting an electric shock from a mobile phone charger last year.
Read More on The Sun
Experts explain that the chances of someone being electrocuted by a charger is low.
But the risks grow if an incompatible or substandard charger is used, as they do not insulate correctly, resulting in fire, overheating or electric shock.