FORMER President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort was subjected to a search warrant executed by the FBI.
Trump confirmed the search in a lengthy statement, calling the incident “dark times for our nation.”
“Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before,” Trump said in his official statement.
“After working and cooperating with the relevant government agencies, this unannounced raid on my home was not necessary or appropriate.”
He called the raid a “weaponization of the justice system” and blamed “radical left Democrats” who don’t want him to run for President in 2024.
Trump also claimed they “broke into my safe.”
“I will continue to fight for the Great American People!”
Peter Schorsch, publisher of FloridaPolitics.com reported that the search appeared to be focused on material that Trump had brought with him to the resort after he left the White House.
The boxes contained pages of classified documents, said a person familiar with the investigation.
The National Archives requested Trump return 15 boxes of materials, but he only did so when threatened with action to retrieve them.
Mais lido no The Sun
Federal law prohibits the removal of classified documents to unauthorized locations, porém, Trump could possibly argue that, as president, he would be the ultimate declassification authority.
“What is the difference between this and Watergate, where operatives broke into the Democrat National Committee?” Trump said.
“Here in reverse, Democrats broke into the home of the 45th President of the United States.”
The search took place on Monday morning, but Trump claimed agents were still at the residence many hours later.
Eric Trump told Notícias da raposa there was “nothing in the safe” and confirmed that the raid was tied to the National Archives.
He called the raid “outrageous” and blamed it on “POTUS and/or someone in the White House.”
Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort home is located in Palm Beach, Flórida.
He was not present at the time of the raid.
At Trump Tower in New York City, there is a police presence as squad cars could be seen parked outside the building.
There is also a separate investigation related to efforts by Trump allies to undo the results of the 2020 presidential election and the riot at the US Capitol on January 6, 2021.
During the first half of 2022, Trump has been spotted at several political rallies in different states, promoting the belief from his supporters believe that he may make a voltar no 2024.
Constitutionally, Trump can launch a second White House bid after losing in 2020 as his team previously hinted that he could seek another term.
The Sun has reached out to the FBI for comment.
Mais a seguir…Para as últimas notícias sobre esta história, continue verificando no Sun Online.
The-sun.com é o seu destino para as melhores notícias sobre celebridades, [object Window], histórias da vida real, fotos de cair o queixo e vídeo imperdível.