A BLOOD Moon will appear over the weekend – but what is it?
Here’s a guide to the stunning space phenomenon known as a total lunar eclipse.
What is a lunar eclipse and when is the next one?
The Earth is constantly rotating around the Sun, and the Moon is constantly rotating around the Earth.
時々 all three can align, placing the Earth directly between the Sun and the Moon in a straight line.
It means the Moon is in the darkest part of Earth’s shadow – the “umbra”.
Read more on the Moon
And due to convenient sizing and distancing of all three objects, no sunlight can directly reach the Moon.
しかしながら, some sunlight is refracted by Earth’s atmosphere, making the Moon appear reddish – hence the name “Blood Moon”.
Lunar eclipses typically last just a few hours, and can be viewed from anywhere on the night side of Earth.
Because they’re typically quite dim, it’s also possible to view lunar eclipses without eye protection, which isn’t the case with a solar eclipse.
There are three different types of lunar eclipse:
- Total lunar eclipse – This is where the Moon turns deep red, receiving only light that’s passed through Earth’s atmosphere.
- Penumbral lunar eclipse – This is when the Sun, Moon and Earth fail to form a perfect straight line, so the Moon only travels through the outer part of Earth’s shadow. This means the Moon’s surface is partly darkened.
- Partial lunar eclipse – This is when part of the Moon travels through Earth’s full shadow, which results in part of the Moon being darkened.
ザ・ next total lunar eclipse is on May 16, 2022, but it will begin on Sunday, 五月 15 for Americans.
Can you see the May 16, 2022 lunar eclipse in the UK and US?
The total lunar eclipse will be visible in the UK and US.
実際には, it will appear over most of North America, South America, and parts of Europe and Africa.
Americans on the East Coast will have the best chance to view the eclipse, but the totality will be visible across much of the USA.
ナサ has created a visibility map that you can see at the bottom of this article.
What time is the May 16, 2022 lunar eclipse?
イギリスで, the Moon will begin entering the Earth’s shadow at around 2.30am on May 16.
And the total eclipse will occur at about 4.30am.
It will finally come to an end at 7.50am – but the eclipse will have stopped being visible about two-and-a-half hours before then, as the Moon sets below the horizon at 5.10am.
For Americans, the Earth’s shadow will start to cover the Moon at 10.28pm Eastern Time on May 15.
Then the total eclipse will begin at 11.29pm the same day.
The peak of the eclipse will be at 12.11am on May 16.
And the totality will last until 12:53午前.
Lunar eclipse dates
Here are the best Blood Moons to look out for up until 2030, ナサによると:
- Total Lunar Eclipse – May 16, 2022
- Total Lunar Eclipse – November 8, 2022
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – May 5, 2023
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – October 28, 2023
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – March 25, 2024
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – September 18, 2024
- Total Lunar Eclipse – March 14, 2025
- Total Lunar Eclipse – September 7, 2025
- Total Lunar Eclipse – March 3, 2026
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – August 28, 2026
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – February 20, 2027
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – July 18, 2027
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – August 17, 2027
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – January 12, 2028
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – July 6, 2028
- Total Lunar Eclipse – December 31, 2028
- Total Lunar Eclipse – June 26, 2029
- Total Lunar Eclipse – December 20, 2029
- Partial Lunar Eclipse – June 15, 2030
- Penumbral Lunar Eclipse – December 9, 2030
ザ・ 2025, 2026, 2028 そして 2029 total lunar eclipses won’t qualify as super moons.
There are no total lunar eclipses in 2023 そして 2024.
And the same is true for 2027.
携帯電話のヒントとハックを探しています? ソーシャル メディア アプリ内の秘密の機能を見つけたい? カバーしてもらいます…
- 方法 delete your Instagram account
- 何が pending mean on Snapchat?
- How to check if you’ve been blocked on WhatsApp
- How to drop a pin on Google Maps
- どうすれば変更できますか フェイスブックのパスワード?
- How to go live on TikTok
- 方法 clear the cache on an iPhone
- とは NFT art?
- とは OnlyFans?
- 何が Meta mean?
私たちはあなたの物語の代金を払います! The Sun OnlineTechのストーリーはありますか & 科学チーム? で私達に電子メールを送りなさい firstname.lastname@example.org