THE LGBTQ+ community is now stronger than ever.
LGBTQ+ is meant to describe a “person’s sexual orientation or gender identity,” secondo il New York City Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Community Center.
Qual è il vantaggio di LGBTQ+?
The original acronym LGBTQ sta per Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer or Questioning.
Il + in LGBTQ+ stands for all the other members associated with the LGBTTTQQIAA community.
LGBTTTQQIAA stands for:
Il + includes the sexualities:
- Gender Queer
- Gender Variant
What do the sexualities mean in the LGBTQ+ community?
The LGBTQ+ community is filled with people who define themselves as a different sexuality other than heterosexual.
According to the OK2BME organization, the definitions of the different sexualities are:
- Lesbian– a female homosexual who has sexual attractions or feelings towards other females
- Gay– a male homosexual who has sexual attractions or feelings towards other males
- Bisexual– A person who has sexual attractions or feelings to both males and females
- Transgender– A person whose gender identity assigned at birth does not match the gender they associate with
- Transsexual– A person who experiences gender identity inconsistent or not culturally associated with the sex they were assigned at birth
- Two-Spirit– A term that is used by some indigenous North Americans to describe gender variant individuals in their communities
- queer– Those who do not identify as heterosexual or cisgender
- Questioning– People who questioning their gender, sexual identity, sexual orientation, or all three
- Intersex– A variation in sex characteristics that include chromosomes, gonads, or genitals that don’t allow someone to identify as either female or male
- Asexual– An individual who lacks sexual attraction or has little interest in sexual activity
- Ally– An individual who considers themselves a friend to the community
- Pansexual– Also known as omnisexuality, is when an individual is attracted to people of any sex or gender identity
- Agender– Also known as genderless, are those who do not identify with any gender
- Gender Queer– A term for identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine
- Bigender– A term for someone who moves between identifying with feminine and masculine identities and behaviors
- Gender Variant– Also known as gender nonconformity, is when an individual expresses behavior that does not match either feminine or masculine norms
- Pangender– Those who feel they identify with all genders
In how many states is same-sex marriage legal?
Come di 2015, gli Stati Uniti. Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legale in all 50 stati.
more from lgbtq+
In the case of Obergedell v. Hodges, il Supreme Court rules that same-sex marriage is considered a fundamental right by both the Due Process Clause and Equal Protection Clause under the Fourteenth Amendment.
“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devozione, sacrifice, and family,” said Justice Anthony Kennedy.
“In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves.”